There are number of questions in our minds when we go out to buy a dehumidifier for home. Questions like what should be its capacity, what are useful features, price and which dehumidifier brand to buy? Well, after lot of testing by our experts and specialists we have compiled together this guide to so that you are able to know which is the best dehumidifier 2017 for your home. It is always great to see some dehumidifier reviews and ratings before you actually purchase one. Do not worry our experts have given their genuine and impartial reviews too. In case your are in hurry and want to know our best rated dehumidifiers quickly, we have prepared a ultimate dehumidifiers comparison table below.
So, why do you need a dehumidifier?
Like for everything there is an optimum level of humidity required in your house. Especially in summers, humidity levels tend to increase. Humidity shoots above the required limits of about 60% or less. This is when you need a home dehumidifier to maintain desired humidity levels.
What type of dehumidifier should I buy?
Well, it is the most important question because buying the right type of dehumidifier will solve your problem only. There are various places in our homes like crawl space, basements in addition to other normal areas where humidity is usually higher. A basement dehumidifier will be a great buy for your basements areas. These basement dehumidifiers are not different type but they tend to have higher moisture removing capacities as compared to other ones. Basically there are two types’ portable dehumidifier and whole house dehumidifier.
- Portable Dehumidifier: If you want to move your unit frequently then you must go portable dehumidifiers. Such a portable dehumidifier can be carried quite conveniently around your house in areas like bathroom, crawl space and they can work as basement dehumidifier efficiently.
- Whole House Dehumidifier: If your house is big and you are looking for a one complete solution to remove moisture from your house then, whole house dehumidifier will be best suited. These are big and costly units, usually runs in thousands of dollars. But if you happen to use many portable units in your house then whole home dehumidifiers could also be a good choice.
How does dehumidifier work?
The working of a dehumidifying unit is quite simple. It simply pulls in the moist air from the air in your house and runs it on a dehumidifying coil. This coil soaks in the humidity and leaves the air dry. Then the dry air is free to be passed to your room and the humidity is collected in the bucket of a home dehumidifying in the form of water. This way it prevents mild dew and misty smells from the house.
Points to consider while buying a Best Dehumidifier 2018
We have talked about its types and working. But there are other points which need to be considered when you are actually going to buy a unit. Here are these important points.
- What size dehumidifier do I need? First of all you need to know the correct size which you should buy. Simply measure the area of your house or room you need to remove the excess humidity from. Then according to the area buy the best rated dehumidifier. 70 pint dehumidifier is sufficient to serve an area of about 1400 sq feet. I think the rooms are rarely larger than this, but if you need to dehumidify larger areas then you should go for a whole house dehumidifier. If the area to be served is less then you can buy 50 pints or even 30 pints units.
- The units which comes with auto defrost feature comes in very handy. Especially in extreme cold conditions the dehumidifying coil may get freeze and this will significantly reduce the efficiency.
- Now consider this, every time the bucket of the unit is full you have to empty it. How annoying it would be. There is a solution to this problem in the form of continuous operation feature. This feature makes it to work continuously when it is placed close a proper drain. So you need not to empty the bucket every time.
- The auto shut off or auto alert feature enable you to know when the bucket is full so that you can empty it if it is not running in continuous mode. Mostly it is the case with basement dehumidifiers as they are not placed near to a drain due to basement areas.
- The electronic display allows to you to conveniently monitor the humidity levels and there is sense of ease when you read the moisture under maximum limits.
- Another feature like anti bacteria filter which prevents misty smell, bacteria and bad odour makes it very useful too.
- The fan speed with different setting allows you to set the air flow according to the size of your room and area. Generally 2 fan speeds are available in most of the portable dehumidifiers.
- Consider buying those units which consumes less power and comes with long power cord so that they are ported around in your home easily.
- Go for the one which makes less noise. The quietest dehumidifier is the one which would keep your house free from extra noise.
Top Best Dehumidifier reviews for 2018
I know you must be waiting for portable dehumidifier reviews eagerly by now. You know there are various different dehumidifier brands available on the market and hundreds of models out there, it’s really not possible to review all of them. So, we have limited our scope for 3 best rated ones only. Our experts have selected them based on excellent home dehumidifier ratings received by them as Amazon dehumidifier. Just go through these reviews of 2017 and select the best one which fits in to your needs and budget.
Best Portable Dehumidifier: The best pick in this category would easily be the Frigidaire FAD704DWD Energy Star 70 pint Dehumidifier. The Frigidaire dehumidifiers are in general considered of top notch quality.
But this unit has become one of the best selling units. Look at the dehumidifier reviews and ratings it has received as Amazon dehumidifier. It has all the features we have discussed above which must be there in the best pick.
It can remove 34 litres per day water from your room. It is good enough for rooms with area about 1400 sq. ft. It provides continuous operation when installed near to a drain.
It eliminates the extra moisture with ease and finesse. There is no scope for bacteria with anti bacteria filter.
In addition to portability it is very space and power saving too. Its long power cord makes it very convenient to use. Moreover the auto shut off and auto alert features makes you remain stress free. This Frigidaire dehumidifier is not very costly either.
Best Basement Dehumidifier: The best pick in this category should be the EdgeStar Energy Star 70 Pint Dehumidifier. This is an excellent choice for you to keep appropriate levels of humidity in your basement areas. It can remove 70 pints of water (1 pint is equal to 450 ml approx).
As claimed by the company it can remove moisture from an area of about 4500 sq. ft. that is awesome but it works best for areas up to 1400 sq. ft. This unit is not very heavy weighing only about 40 pounds. This basement dehumidifier provides low temperature operations.
It consumes power of 720 watts only. This is one of the most quiet dehumidifier with 2 fan speeds. This is a great buy for areas like basements and crawl space.
It has top loading filter mesh which enables you to change filer without being required to remove the bucket. It has auto start and auto shut off timers too for extra convenience.
It is easily be the best rated dehumidifier for basement as it has received 4.4 start ratings in dehumidifier reviews at Amazon which shows its popularity among various customers.
Best Dehumidifier with Pump: Top rated pick in this category is the Friedrich D70BP 70-Pint. The dehumidifier with pump is capable of pumping the collected water vertically or horizontally up to some distance.
If you need a dehumidifier with in built pump then this makes a best bet. Like all other 70 pint dehumidifiers it can remove 70 pints of moisture from air in each day.
Besides this it can pump that moisture turned water horizontally or vertically up to 15 feet distance, it also provides continuous drainage facility in case you need it with a rear outlet for draining.
It works on 115 volts and displays room temperature and humidity on its top mount digital display. It is good enough for areas about 1500 sq. ft. It comes with a detachable bucket and with auto timers.
It weighs around 51 pounds but it looks beautiful. This sleek and stylish unit is placed with a user rating of nice 3.9 stars.
It has a capacity to remove 14.2 litres of water from moist air. It is extremely portable and small that you can take it anywhere in your home easily. It allows you to adjust humidity levels from 30% to 90%.
It comes with auto shut off and auto restart functionality. Even this small dehumidifier provides the auto defrost facility so that there is not freezing of coils in extremely cold winter.
It weighs only 30 lbs and comes with pre filter which can be washed easily. It consumes very less power of about 400 watts and allows two fan speeds.
It includes 3 feet long draining hose and gives continuous drainage option. It has a rating of 4 stars in amazon reviews.
It is a non ducted whole house unit with built in control mechanism. It is big unit weighing around 50 pounds.
It is a high capacity and free tall standing unit which works efficiently for areas up to 5000 sq. ft.
This whole house dehumidifier unit comes with auto de-frost functionality. It is not required to be connected to your duct systems for functioning unlike other whole home units.
It switches off the compression in highly cold weather conditions.Even though it is a big unit though it fairly provides quiet operation as it uses evaporator coil to remove moisture. Its got 3.8 stars dehumidifier ratings at Amazon.
Closing thoughts on Best Dehumidifier Reviews 2018
Well our experts have left no stone un-turned in putting in all out efforts to bring you with all the relevant details about best dehumidifiers for basement and other types like whole house, portable dehumidifier units etc. In spite of all that we may have missed some important models or brands in the above dehumidifier reviews. You may share your views in comments section.