Little do you know this, but there may be hidden dangers in your home that can harm or kill you. Many of these dangers are invisible – some are even odorless. When it comes down to it, the surfaces in your home, and even the air inside your home, may be much dirtier than you think.
Things like mold spores, pesticides, food borne toxins, lead and more could be proliferating throughout your home. If you have a fireplace, or an old HVAC unit, you may also have a carbon monoxide issue. Carbon monoxide in high concentrations can be deadly. Here are five tips for eliminating built-up hidden toxins lurking in your home. If your locality has hard water, that comes with a world of problems too, learn more on WaterSoftenerGuide.com.
- Mold abatement. Mold is one of the worst problems, because toxic strains of the dangerous spore could have extremely negative health consequences. Mold may be growing in hidden places inside your home. However, the most common place to look for mold is in your bathroom and in the ductwork of your HVAC units. When it comes to maintaining geothermal heat pumps, cleaning the ductwork is critical.
- Clean your countertops to remove e-coli and salmonella. These food borne bacterial toxins come from things like eggs, uncooked chicken and other meat. If you do not clean your countertops thoroughly, you could be prone to getting sick from these bacterial toxins. Symptoms may at first appear to be flu-like, but could become extremely severe. Deaths have been contributed to e-coli infections. If you have children, making sure that your home is free of these toxins is critical. It is important that you use tough cleaners – cleaners that can kill the toxins.
- Lead removal. Lead is a hidden toxin that could be buried in your walls. Even if you have repainted your walls multiple times, you may have a very old layer of paint underneath it all that has lead in it. Lead is extremely toxic, especially for young children and pregnant women. Lead has been known to cause birth defects. Lead can also cause cancer and other serious illnesses. Before a couple of decades ago, it was common to put lead in paint, because they believed it would make the color have more luster.
- Reduce carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide can be a serious threat. Carbon monoxide is most commonly known as the silent killer, because it doesn’t have a smell and it you can’t even see it. It is important to have carbon monoxide testers in your home, because you don’t want to succumb to carbon monoxide poisoning and not know what hit you. Also, you want to open up your fireplace flute this winter – smoke inhalation can
Get rid of all the antibacterial soap in your home. Antibacterial soap has been known to cause extreme hormonal changes and thyroid issues – all thanks to a chemical called triclosan. Not all antibacterial soaps have this, but many of them do. So, before you purchase soap for your home, make sure to look at all the ingredients.