There are a number of questions to ask yourself when it comes to your HVAC system. Good thing you are here to learn more, for instance, does my air conditioning unit have the right amount of refrigeration? Should I use heating oil vs. natural gas for my furnace? Is my heating and cooling system working efficiently?
However there is one question that may be more important than all the rest: which is the top-rated AC company and does my ductwork need cleaning and maintenance? When it comes down to it, there are a number of advantages to cleaning your ductwork. Some of these advantages have to do with your health and some have to do with the efficiency of your heating and cooling unit. Here are five benefits of home air duct cleaning.
- Cleaning your air ducts will make your heating and cooling system last longer. A dirty ductwork infrastructure can lead to further damages in your HVAC unit. Basically, the more dirt and debris that is inside your HVAC system, the harder your system has to work, which can lead to parts and other mechanisms having to overcompensate. Most HVAC systems last about ten to twelve years, but if you let your ductwork get too dirty, your HVAC system could see its demise in only a few years.
- It will reduce your symptoms of allergies and reduce asthma flare-ups. Allergies and asthma can lead to some pretty debilitating health conditions. And if you don’t clean out your air ducts, dust, dander and other detritus, like pollen and mold spores, can spread around your home each time you turn on your heating or cooling system. In some cases, asthma can be fatal, so you want to reduce flare-ups by keeping your ductwork totally clean. In the spring and wintertime, it is especially important to clean out your ductwork – for this exact reason.
- Cleaning your ductwork will improve your home’s air quality. Even if you or one of your family members doesn’t have asthma or allergies, not cleaning your air ducts can still result in some pretty nasty particles getting released into the air of your home. For instance, your ductwork can often be full of rat or mouse droppings – if you don’t clean your ductwork, these particles can be released into the atmosphere of your home.
- You will save money and energy. Because your HVAC system has to work harder when your ductwork is dirty, you are essentially making your HVAC system a lot less efficient. Air conditioners alone contribute to a huge portion of the earth’s global warming. However, if you don’t clean your ductwork, your carbon footprint could be even bigger and even more damaging to the environment.
- Your home will smell great. Because of all the debris and detritus in your HVAC system, it can start to cause an odor to spread throughout your home. Cleaning your ductwork can remove these smells. If you start to smell something sour – almost like mildew – there is a good chance that your ductwork is the culprit. So, make sure to clean out your ductwork if you want clean, healthy air and a home that smells great.